Melonie Bayl-Smith lives at the cutting edge of sustainable design and architecture.
Her firm, Bijl Architecture, has won numerous awards for its unique constructions and for integrating concepts of nature and sustainability into the everday lives of their clients in a unique way.
In this wide-ranging discussion, we talk about the nature of architecture and how to embrace sustainability throughout the design and construction phases of a building project, as well as the future of design and how technology might change the way we look at the world we live in.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
– What sustainable architecture and design innovation actually mean.
– The interrelationship between the pillars of sustainable design; aesthetics, functionality, economic and social.
– How architects think about the future users of the designed space.
– The impact of design, urban renewal and shared resources on communities.
– How public is ‘public’ space?
– The role of technology and early adopters in design innovation.
– What to look for when building, buying or renting an office space.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Thanks for Listening!