Carsten is a highly experienced business consultant, having spent over 15 years managing risks and compliance for customers in China and throughout South-East Asia.
In particular, Carsten is a supply chain expert for the Chinese market, which is why we were particularly excited to pick his brain in this interview!
Carsten drops a lot of nuggets about how to do a better job with your own supply chain and manage some of the difficulties and challenges we can face when we try to do the right thing.
This episode is essential listening for anybody thinking about sourcing from China.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
– What motivated him to work in this unique field.
– The value (or otherwise) of certifications for sustainable business practices.
– Why only 3000 factories in the world have achieved the top certification.
– What Corporate Social Responsibility actually means.
– What is meant by ‘environmental compliance’.
– What a snapshot audit looks like (and how to avoid ‘shadow factory’ tactics).
– Why a business owner shold investigate their own supply chain.
– How to make supply chain management part of your profit center and stop looking at it as a cost.
– Why ‘fair working hours’ are not necessarily the best thing for some workers.
– And much more.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
– Carsten’s Book (still called ‘Shanghai’d’ at time of posting)
– The Rana Factory Collapse (lest we forget)
Thanks for Listening!