Woodfolk accessories is the business and passion of Julia Denes, an Australian entrepreneur who has built a thriving wooden jewelry business that not only makes beautiful pieces but helps support sustainable development among local artisans in Nepal.
The business’ core tenets are honesty and compassion, emphasizing harmony with natural materials and partnering with local women, families and cooperatives to develop unique, ethical and fashionable wooden jewelry.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
– Why Julia made the switch from producing fine jewelry to ethical wooden jewelry
– How she found her artisans
– How she pays her artisans
– Why ‘trade’ is more important than ‘aid’
– How she sources her ethical materials
– Why building a relationship with your employees – as well as your customers – is key to success
– The impact of the recent earthquake in Nepal on her business
– Why an ethical, natural business is important to her
– How Julia supports communities in need
– Customers’ responses to the ethical focus of the business
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Thanks for Listening!